The curriculum at Holy Cross Catholic Primary School is designed to:
- Be broad, high quality and inspiring; enabling the unlocking of the unique potential of every child within a caring, challenging and vibrant learning environment.
- Reflect our Catholic beliefs and support faith, spirituality and the gospel values.
- Teach facts and build skills so that children can apply knowledge.
- Equip our children with a broad vocabulary across all subjects so that they are empowered to become effective communicators across a range of subject areas.To achieve this:
- We maintain close links with our local parish and Christian community to support faith and spiritual wellbeing: a community where every individual is respected and valued as a child of God.
- Staff collaboratively plan what to teach and in what order; enabling prior learning to maximise pupils’ ability to deepen their skills and understanding and apply them to a wide range of disciplines.
- We recognise that outcomes for our children are stronger when meaningful links are made between subjects and we endeavour to fill each topic with rich first-hand purposeful experiences.
- Vocabulary is carefully mapped out across all subjects so that children have a bank of words to effectively articulate their thoughts and ideas across a range of subject areas.
- We use quality ongoing assessment to ensure that our children are appropriately challenged so that they achieve exceptionally well.
- We offer a wider curriculum where difference is not only accepted but celebrated, and children are provided with opportunities to broaden their experiences and fulfil their own potential in paths of their choice.